Experiencing an electrical shock is serious and potentially life-threatening. Knowing how to self-treat can make a difference. Seek medical help immediately, but in those critical moments, take these crucial steps to protect yourself or others.
1. Ensure Safety First
Before attempting to help the person who received the shock, ensure your own safety by turning off the power source or unplugging the device if possible.
Do not touch the person while they are still in contact with the electrical source to avoid getting shocked yourself..
2. Call for Help
Dial emergency services or call for professional medical assistance immediately.
Provide accurate information about the situation, including the location, the severity of the shock, and any visible injuries.
3. Assess the Person’s Condition
Carefully observe the person who received the shock for any signs of responsiveness or consciousness.
If they are unconscious or not breathing, begin performing CPR if you are trained to do so.
4. Remove the Person from the Electrical Source
Use a non-conductive object such as a wooden broom handle or a dry towel to carefully move the person away from the source of the electrical shock.
Do not directly touch the person with your bare hands while they are still in contact with electricity.
5. Check for Injuries
Once the person is away from the electrical source, check them for any visible injuries, burns, or wounds caused by the electrical shock.
Cover any burns with a sterile non-stick dressing or clean cloth.
6. Monitor Vital Signs
Keep a close eye on the person’s vital signs, including their breathing and pulse.
If necessary, perform basic first aid techniques, such as applying pressure to bleeding wounds or stabilizing fractures.
7. Provide Comfort and Reassurance
Stay with the person and offer reassurance while waiting for professional help to arrive.
Remember, these tips are for emergencies only and should not replace professional medical care. Seek immediate medical attention after an electrical shock for proper evaluation and treatment. By knowing how to self-treat, you can save lives and prioritize electrical safety in your daily life. Stay safe!